Jackson's father drops court action
Michael Jackson's father has dropped a wrongful death action against the former doctor convicted of causing the singer's death.
Court records show Joe Jackson's request for a dismissal was granted on Monday. The filings do not elaborate on a reason, but two lawyers handling the case were recently ruled ineligible to practise law in California.
The Jackson family patriarch initially filed the lawsuit against Conrad Murray in June 2010, on the anniversary of his son's death. A federal judge refused to hear it and it had to be re-filed in state court in Los Angeles.
"It's good finally that this case is dismissed and gone," Murray's lawyer Charles Peckham said. "It's pretty clear that Joe Jackson intelligently and smartly dismissed this case so he, his wife and children can focus on Michael Jackson's life instead of the circumstances of his death."
He said Murray, who is jailed and appealing against his involuntary manslaughter conviction, remained pained by Jackson's death in June 2009 and felt sorry for his family. "His heart goes out to them," Mr Peckham said.
Jackson's mother, Katherine, continues to pursue a case against concert company AEG Live alleging it negligently hired and supervised Murray, who was giving the 50-year-old star nightly doses of the powerful anaesthetic propofol as a sleep aid.
Murray's treatments were conducted while Jackson was preparing for a series of comeback concerts.
Her case is due for trial in April.
Joe Jackson's case claimed Murray repeatedly lied to paramedics and doctors about giving Jackson propofol and did not keep adequate medical records - all issues that prosecutors raised against Murray during his trial last year.
He had been seeking damages for a variety of issues, including loss of income and support, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.