Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Jay-Z pulling out of troubled Woodstock anniversary festival

John Fogerty, who performed at the original event in 1969, had earlier pulled out of the event.

Jay-z and Beyonce attending Disney’s The Lion King European Premiere held in Leicester Square, London.
Jay-z and Beyonce attending Disney’s The Lion King European Premiere held in Leicester Square, London.

Rap king Jay-Z has pulled out of the 50th anniversary Woodstock festival just weeks before the troubled event is supposed to take place.

A source said Jay-Z will no longer close the three-day festival scheduled for August 16-18.

The news comes on the same day that John Fogerty, who performed at the original 1969 festival with Creedence Clearwater Revival, decided to skip the anniversary event.

Woodstock 50 has faced a series of setbacks in the last few months, including permit denials and the loss of a financial partner and a production company.

bpanews_6baa1051-61d5-445c-88de-94b0933826c1_embedded244320658
File photo of John Fogerty performing at the Woodstock 50 lineup announcement at Electric Lady Studios in New York (Evan Agostini/AP)

The event does not have a venue and tickets have yet to go on sale.

With Fogerty and rapper-actor Common by his side, Michael Lang, the original festival’s co-founder, announced in March that Jay-Z, Dead & Company, the Killers, Miley Cyrus, Imagine Dragons, Chance the Rapper and the Black Keys would perform at Woodstock 50.

The festivities were supposed to take place across three main stages at Watkins Glen International racetrack in Watkins Glen, New York, about 115 miles northwest of the original site, but the venue pulled out.

bpanews_6baa1051-61d5-445c-88de-94b0933826c1_embedded243843104
Miley Cyrus was announced as a performer (Aaron Chown/PA)

Bloomberg reported that the event will now take place at the Merriweather Post Pavilion, an outdoor amphitheatre in Columbia, Maryland.

A representative for Woodstock 50 told The Associated Press that she could not confirm the report and said the organisers had no further comment.

Though he is no longer performing at Woodstock 50, Fogerty will perform at Woodstock’s original site in Bethel, New York, in a smaller anniversary event not connected to Woodstock 50.

The 74-year-old will hit the stage at the Bethel Woods Centre for the Arts, which is holding its event during the same three-day weekend.

Fogerty will close out the celebration on August 18, while Ringo Starr will perform on August 16 and Santana, also booked for the larger anniversary event, will perform on August 17.

Other performers scheduled for the troubled Woodstock 50 include Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters, David Crosby, Janelle Monae, Brandi Carlile, Country Joe McDonald, Halsey, the Lumineers and India.Arie.

PA

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph