| 14.2°C Belfast

Leak 'did not compromise sources'

Close

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates

The posting of tens of thousands of secret Afghan war logs by the WikiLeaks website earlier this year compromised no sensitive intelligence sources or practices, the US Defence Department has said.

But the military said the leak's disclosure in July of the names of Afghans who co-operated with the US put them at risk, and would probably cause significant harm to US national security interests.

The conclusions came in a letter signed by Secretary of Defence Robert Gates on August 16 and obtained by reporters on Friday.

Mr Gates also told Senator Carl Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, that an initial review of the leaked documents showed they related mostly to day-to-day military operations rather than more sensitive matters.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required


Top Videos



Privacy