| 7.2°C Belfast

Lohan 'wants no-contest theft plea'

Close

Lindsay Lohan wants to enter a no-contest plea to end a criminal case filed over a 1,500 pounds necklace reported stolen

Lindsay Lohan wants to enter a no-contest plea to end a criminal case filed over a 1,500 pounds necklace reported stolen

Lindsay Lohan wants to enter a no-contest plea to end a criminal case filed over a 1,500 pounds necklace reported stolen

Lindsay Lohan wants to enter a no-contest plea to end a criminal case filed over a £1,500 necklace reported stolen, a source close to the actress says.

The source, who is familiar with Lohan's criminal case but was not authorised to comment publicly, says the troubled actress wants to put the case behind her so she can focus on her career.

No court date has been set for Lohan to enter the plea. She is due to return to a Los Angeles court for a pre-trial hearing on May 11, but is hoping to resolve the case before then, the source said.

By pleading no contest, Lohan would not be admitting guilt and it was not immediately clear if she would face any additional penalties.

The Mean Girls actress has already been sentenced to four months in jail for a probation violation related to the theft case. She is free on bail.

In February prosecutors charged Lohan with felony grand theft over allegations that she took the necklace from Kamofie & Co, a jewellery store near her home in Los Angeles' Venice neighbourhood. The charge was reduced last week by Los Angeles Superior Court judge Stephanie Sautner.

Authorities said the theft occurred about three weeks after Lohan, 24, was released from court-ordered rehab at the Betty Ford Centre.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Lohan's assistant turned the necklace in to authorities after police obtained a search warrant to retrieve it from Lohan's house, but before detectives were able to conduct the search.

Judge Sautner said during an April 22 hearing that she thought Lohan's actions were brazen, but did not think the case warranted a felony prosecution because many other cases involving more serious allegations are reduced to misdemeanours.

Deputy district attorney Danette Meyers said she thought the ruling was an "abuse of discretion" and her office may appeal.


Top Videos



Privacy