Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Man accused of Stockholm bomb plot

A man has gone on trial at the High Court in Glasgow accused of conspiring with another man who set off a bomb in Sweden.

Taimour Abdulwahab died after he detonated an improvised explosive device in Stockholm on December 11 2010, having earlier set fire to a car containing an improvised explosive device to try to detonate it.

Nasserdine Menni, whose age is not known, is accused of conspiring with Abdulwahab and others to further terrorist aims by criminal and other means, including the use of explosive devices in the commission of an act of terrorism directed against members of the public in Sweden, with intent to murder members of the public.

It is alleged he did so in Glasgow, Luton, Bedford, Sweden, Syria, Iraq and other unknown locations between January 1 2003 and March 8 2011.

The first witness to give evidence at the trial was Swedish police officer Karl Viktor Andersson, 32, who described events in Stockholm on December 11 2010.

He told how he was called to a report of a car fire at around 5pm but as he and a colleague drove there they were stopped by a member of the public, who told them he had heard an explosion, and they went to investigate in the Bryggargatan area.

He told the court: "We just passed the corner and there was a body lying there on his back with his intestines outside his body."

Menni is also charged with transferring sums of money to or for the use of Abdulwahab by unknown means, between January 2005 and December 2010, in the knowledge or with reasonable cause to suspect that they would or may be used for the purposes of terrorism. He pleads not guilty to the charges.

The indictment is divided into subsections outlining the allegations, which include a charge that he purchased false identity documents to access a bank account. It is also alleged that he accessed three bank accounts by fraud and obtained benefits by fraud.

He is also accused of obtaining leave to remain in the UK by means of deception between April 6 2009 and June 29 2009 by falsely stating that his name was Ezedden Khalid Ahmed Al-Khaledi and claiming to be seeking asylum.


From Belfast Telegraph