Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Man died during cockroach-eating bid

A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live cockroaches during a contest earlier this year, a post-mortem examination revealed.

Yesterday’s report said 32-year-old Edward Archbold died as a result of “asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents”. The death has been ruled an accident.

Dr Bill Kern, a professor of entomology at the University of Florida, said it could have been an allergic reaction to so much foreign protein that killed Archbold.

He told the Miami Herald: "We know cockroaches shed a lot of allergens, but they’re not toxic in and of themselves.

'Very few [human] cultures tend to eat cockroaches because they store large amounts of uric acid and nitrogenous waste. And they tend to be scavengers and feed on things most people wouldn’t consider to be desirable.'

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph