Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Multiple people feared dead in Florida high school shooting

Police said the gunman is a former student and was arrested without incident off campus.

A gunman opened fire at a Florida high school causing “numerous fatalities”, US authorities said.

There were at least 14 victims at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Broward County Sheriff’s Office said, although it did not say how many were dead.

The 18-year-old shooter is in custody  after Swat teams swarmed the school, the sheriff’s office said.

The gunman is a former student and was arrested without incident off campus, it added.

Television footage showed police putting a person in the back of a police car outside the high school.

The suspect was later identified as Nicholas Cruz.

It followed scenes of students frantically running from the building and ambulance crews treating people outside the school on Wednesday afternoon.

Broward Sheriff’s Office said on Twitter: “So far we have at least 14 victims.

“Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital.”

Broward County Superintendent Robert Runcie said: “There are numerous fatalities. It is a horrific situation.”

He added: “It is a horrible day for us.”

The White House cancelled its daily press briefing following the news and President Donald Trump has spoken with Florida governor Rick Scott.

The president tweeted: “My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting.

“No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.”

Parent John Obin said his son, a student at the school, was in class when he heard several shots.

The father said his son advised that teachers quickly rushed students out of the school.

“This is a really good school, and now it’s like a war zone,” Mr Obin said.

bpanews_c96ee6a5-f966-4494-831e-c769fd597769_embedded234978261
School Shooting Florida (Wilfredo Lee/AP)

Coral Springs Police said earlier on Twitter that the school had been locked down and that students and teachers inside should remain barricaded until police reached them.

Outside, television footage showed two people on stretchers and another person being treated on the ground near the school.

bpanews_c96ee6a5-f966-4494-831e-c769fd597769_embedded234978028
School Shooting Florida (WPLG-TV/AP)

Paramedics were treating those who appeared to be students with injuries.

Len Murray, whose 17-year-old son attends the school, was stopped by authorities within view of the building.

He said: “I’m scared for the other parents here. You can see the concern in everybody’s faces.

“Everybody is asking: ‘Have you heard from your child yet?'”

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph