Nora Quoirin family 'traumatised but hopeful' of missing teen's return
The family of Nora Quoirin have spoken of their trauma but how they remain "hopeful" of the teenager's safe return.
Nora - the daughter of a Belfast woman - went missing from her Malaysian holiday resort on Sunday week.
The 15-year-old's family had been holidaying at The Dusun private nature resort around 10 miles from the town of Seremban.
Nora who has special needs and has been described as "very vulnerable".
Her aunt gave a statement, as parents Meabh and Sebastien were too upset to speak. She said they were overcome by the many messages of support and the efforts of the authorities in their search operations and the local community.
British and Irish police have also been involved, which the family said they were grateful for.
Eadaoin Agnew said: "This is extremely traumatic for the whole family.
"We must remain hopeful. And we ask everyone to keep Nora in their thoughts, and to continue to support the ongoing search for her. Nora is still missing, and she is very vulnerable, and we need to do everything we can to bring her home."
Police have said they are keeping an open mind in their investigation and are not ruling out the potential for foul play. They said described their investigation as "very quick and wide".
They have examined the holiday home and taken statements from over 20 people and examining fingerprints found in the holiday home.
Nora's mother Meabh is originally from Belfast and her father Sebastian is French. They were staying at the nature reserve for a two-week holiday, along with Nora's siblings.
Nora was reported missing when her father found her bed empty on Sunday morning.
Since her disappearance, a search team consisting of police, fire and rescue and civil defence officers, among others, has expanded to 206 personnel. Drones have also been used in the search of the surrounding dense forest area.
The family believe she was abducted although police have said there is no evidence of this as yet.
At a press conference on Wednesday Negeri Sembilan's deputy police chief, Che Zakaria Othman, said they have not ruled out foul play in the teen's disappearance.
“When there's a case of a missing person, investigations are not confined to a certain angle. We are looking at all angles, involving various elements, including foul play,” he said.
It was initially reported that a window in Nora's bedroom was found to be open when she disappeared, however Mr Zakaria said it was actually the window in a downstairs hallway.
He declined to say if the window could be opened from the outside, stating that the investigation was ongoing, but did reveal that forensics officers are examining fingerprints found in the cottage - but again he declined to give any details.
Mr Zakaria also said he understood why Nora's family believe she has been abducted, given the strain they are under.
“They have lost a daughter and of course they are sad and worried about her safety. However, we will not stop our efforts to find Nora,” he said.
“Although we classified this case as a missing person but we are not ruling out any possibility... the scale of investigation and the search and rescue is very big for a small place here.
“We still have hope and believe that she is still in the area. There is no information to show that she has left the area.”
Belfast Telegraph Digital