Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Poison mushrooms blunder kills chef

A chef and his assistant have died after eating poisonous mushrooms in a meal they prepared for a private dinner at a restaurant in Australia.

Liu Jun, 38, and kitchen hand Tsou Hsiang, 52, died from liver failure in hospital after eating death cap mushrooms on New Year's Eve at Canberra's Harmonie German Club.

The two prepared the deadly stir fry in the kitchen of the club's Chinese bistro, but club manager Mick Thamer said the meal had not been available to the public.

Mr Liu's friend Tom O'Dea said the chef picked the mushrooms himself, mistaking them for edible straw mushrooms.

A third person who shared the dinner with Mr Liu and Ms Tsou was discharged from hospital on Tuesday.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph