Policewoman dies in second Paris shooting - while explosion near mosque is linked to Charlie Hebdo attack
A policewoman has died and another officer is injured after a second Paris shooting - less than 24 hours after the massacre at Charlie Hebdo.
The shootout happened in southern Paris on Thursday morning - but it is unclear whether it was linked to the gun attack on the satirical magazine.
Two men with assault rifles wounded two local police officers, one male and one female, after their car was involved in a road accident.
One of the gunmen was reported to have been arrested. The other fled.
Both police officers were lying on the ground after the attack, according to Television station iTELE. It is understood one of the wounded was shot in the back.
Heavily armed police cordoned off the streets around the Avenue Pierre Brossollette in Montrouge, just south of the Paris city boundary. A helicopter hovered overhead.
Meanwhile, there has been unrest in France as the country enters a day of official mourning.
An explosion in a kebab shop near a mosque in Villefranche-sur-Saone, eastern France, is being linked to the Charlie Hebdo attack according to local paper Le Progres. No one was injured.
It comes after several arrests were made overnight in the hunt for two remaining suspects over the massacre at the newspaper.
Prime Minister Manuel Valls said preventing another attack "is our main concern" as he explained why authorities released photos of the two men along with a plea for witnesses to come forward.
One suspect has turned himself in after the attack on the offices of Charlie Hebdo, a weekly newspaper that had been threatened before for its caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.
France's leading security official left an emergency government meeting to travel to the scene of the latest shooting.
Paris police and a security spokesman said it was too early to draw any connection between the shootings.
France declared a national day of mourning today. President Francois Hollande, visiting the scene of the country's deadliest such attack in more than half a century, called the assault "an act of exceptional barbarism".
The country raised its terror alert system to the maximum - Attack Alert - and bolstered security with more than 800 extra soldiers to guard media offices, places of worship, transport and other sensitive areas.
More to follow...
Belfast Telegraph Digital