Rape spree accused again refuses to appear in court as judge confirms trial date
Alleged serial rapist Joseph McCann has again refused to appear in court to enter pleas over 35 charges relating to attacks against 11 people.
The 34-year-old is accused of attacking people aged between 11 and 71 across five police force areas over a two-week period from April 20 to May 5 this year.
During one alleged incident, McCann is said to have tied a woman up in her own home and committed sexual offences, including rape, against her 17-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son.
He was arrested near Congleton, Cheshire, just over two weeks after he is alleged to have abducted a woman in her 20s in Watford and raped her in her home. Two other women, in their 20s, were allegedly separately snatched off the street in Chingford and Edgware, London, on April 25 and then raped in a car.
A string of other alleged offences are said to have occurred in Lancashire and Greater Manchester on May 5, including the rape of a 71-year-old woman and the sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl.
McCann, from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, refused to attend his plea hearing at the Old Bailey by video-link from Belmarsh Prison before Mr Justice Edis yesterday. He had previously refused to attend a similar hearing on May 23.
The senior judge had previously set a provisional six-week trial at the Old Bailey to start on November 11. Mr Justice Edis said he would proceed on the basis that there would be a trial on all counts.