Scores killed in series of blasts in Shiite suburb of Syrian capital
The death toll from three blasts in a Shiite suburb of Damascus has reached 50, with more than 200 wounded, Syrian state TV reported.
It says the bombings on Sunday targeted a vegetable market in the afternoon during rush hour.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for a triple blast in Sayyida Zeinab, saying two IS fighters set off a car bomb before detonating their explosive belts.
Residents said the attack was about half a mile from one of Shiite Islam's holiest shrines and did not damage it.
A triple explosion in Sayyida Zeinab killed 45 people last month.
The blasts came hours after two explosions in the central city of Homs killed and wounded scores of people.
The day of violence follows diplomatic moves aimed at organising a truce.
Earlier, US secretary of state John Kerry said a ''provisional agreement'' has been reached on a ceasefire in Syria's five-year civil war.
Mr Kerry, who spoke alongside Jordanian foreign minister Nasser Judeh in Amman, Jordan, revealed he had spoken earlier this morning with his Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, about the agreement.
Now, he said, both the US and Russia plan to reach out to the various sides of the conflict.