Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Secret JFK assassination files to be made public after Trump says he won't prevent release

By Jill Colvin

President Donald Trump does not intend to block the scheduled release of thousands of secret US documents related to President John F Kennedy's assassination.

He tweeted on Saturday: "Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened."

The National Archives has until Thursday to disclose the remaining files related to Kennedy's 1963 murder.

The trove is expected to include more than 3,000 documents that have never been seen by the public, and more than 30,000 that have been previously released but with redactions.

Congress mandated in 1992 that all assassination documents be released within 25 years, but Mr Trump has the power to block them on the grounds that making them public would harm intelligence or military operations, law enforcement or foreign relations.

"Thank you. This is the correct decision. Please do not allow exceptions for any agency of government," tweeted Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia Centre for Politics and author of a book about Kennedy, who has urged the President to release the files. "JFK files have been hidden too long."

The anticipated release has had scholars and armchair detectives buzzing.

But it is unlikely the documents will contain any big revelations on a tragedy that has stirred conspiracy theories for decades, Judge John Tunheim said last month.

Mr Tunheim was chairman of the independent agency in the 1990s that made public many assassination records and decided how long others could remain secret.

Mr Sabato and other JFK scholars believe the trove of files may, however, provide insight into assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's trip to Mexico City weeks before the killing, during which he visited the Soviet and Cuban embassies.

Oswald's stated reason for going was to get visas that would allow him to enter Cuba and the Soviet Union, according to the Warren Commission, the body that investigated the killing.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph