Sheriff: No second shooter, no clear motive in Las Vegas massacre
Stephen Paddock killed 58 people and injured hundreds more after opening fire on a concert crowd last October.
US police have said there is no evidence of a conspiracy or of a second gunman in the case of the Las Vegas Strip shooting that left 58 people dead and hundreds more injured – the deadliest gun massacre in modern US history.
Authorities spoke after hundreds of interviews and thousands of hours of investigative work in the case of Stephen Paddock.
Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said 64-year-old Paddock was “an unremarkable man” who showed signs of a troubled mind leading up to the October 1 shooting on the Las Vegas Strip, but authorities do not have any clear answers.
The investigation found that the gunman spent 1.5 million dollars (£1.1 million) over two years, including money paid to casinos.
A summary of 14 of Paddock’s bank accounts showed he had 2.1 million dollars (£1.6 million) in the accounts in September 2015. By September 2017, the total amount had dropped to 530,000 dollars (£405,000).
Sheriff Lombardo said Paddock was a reclusive, high-stakes gambler but had not been “as successful in the gambling as he was in the previous years”.
Investigators say Paddock paid 600,000 dollars (£460,000) to casinos and. More than 170,000 dollars (£130,000) was paid to credit card companies.
The analysis said Paddock had also made nearly 95,000 dollars (£72,000) in firearms-related purchases.
Sheriff Lombardo said that with the closure of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department’s 10-month investigation, no-one else will be charged in connection with the shooting.
Paddock, who fired across Las Vegas Boulevard from a hotel room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel into a concert crowd of 22,000 people, was the only gunman, Sheriff Lombardo said.
Earlier this year, federal prosecutors brought criminal charges against a man who they say sold armour-piercing bullets.
Authorities have said the man, Douglas Haig, sold Paddock 720 rounds of tracer bullets. He has pleaded not guilty.
Police have released 13 batches of investigative documents, audio, police reports, witness statements and video over the last three months.
They have illustrated chaos, heartbreak and heroism from police, first-responders, concert-goers and more.
Body camera recordings made public earlier showed officers using explosives to blast through the door of a 32nd floor hotel suite to find Paddock dead on the floor from a self-inflicted gunshot.
Assault-style weapons fitted with rapid-fire “bump stock” devices were strewn about the suite.
Officials have said the attack had no link to international terrorism, but hotel owner MGM Resorts International last month invoked a provision of a federal law enacted after the September 11 terror attacks.
The company wants federal courts to qualify the shooting as an act of terrorism and to declare the company has no liability to survivors or families of the victims.