South Africa President Jacob Zuma resigns
South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma has resigned.
He had been under intense pressure from his ruling ANC Party after a string of corruption scandals and had faced a motion of no confidence.
Mr Zuma made the announcement in an address to the nation and said he was indebted to the "glorious" ANC.
He said he had taken the decision to resign with "immediate effect".
Earlier a defiant Mr Zuma told state broadcaster SABC that he had been treated unfairly by the ruling African National Congress, which had told him to resign by the end of Wednesday after rejecting his request to stay in office for several more months.
“I’m being victimised here,” Mr Zuma said, complaining that Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, his expected successor, and other ANC leaders had not given him clear reasons about why he should go.
“I need to be furnished on what I’ve done,” the 75-year-old president said. He added that “I will be out” if parliament votes against him in a motion of no confidence as expected on Thursday.
Also on Wednesday, police raided the home of prominent business associates of Mr Zuma who are accused of being at the centre of corruption scandals that have infuriated the country, hurt the ANC’s popularity and weakened the economy. An elite police unit entered the compound of the Gupta family, which has been accused of using its connections to the president to influence Cabinet appointments and win state contracts. The Guptas deny any wrongdoing.
Several people were arrested during police operations, South African media reported.
The ANC was accelerating efforts to end the country’s political limbo and push through a power transition in one of Africa’s biggest economies. The party wants Mr Zuma to end his second five-year term early so that it can build up support ahead of 2019 elections.
Ruling party leaders outlined a speedy timetable, with Mr Ramaphosa set to be elected in parliament to succeed Mr Zuma in time to deliver the delayed state of the nation address on Friday evening.
“We can no longer keep South Africa waiting,” said Paul Mashatile, the ANC’s treasurer general.
An opposition-sponsored motion of no confidence in Mr Zuma had been scheduled for February 22, but the ruling party joined opposition leaders in pushing for the date to be moved to this week in a rare show of unity among rival political factions.
Mr Ramaphosa, elected as the ANC’s new leader in December, has said the government will do more to fight the corruption that has damaged the ANC, which has led South Africa since the end of white minority rule in 1994.
As the Gupta-linked investigation proceeds, Mr Zuma also could face corruption charges tied to an arms deal two decades ago. South Africa’s chief prosecutor is expected to make a decision on whether to prosecute Mr Zuma on the old charges, which were reinstated last year after being thrown out in 2009.
In another scandal, South Africa’s top court ruled in 2016 that Mr Zuma violated the constitution following an investigation of multi-million-dollar upgrades to his private home using state funds. The president paid back some of the money.
The ruling party’s decision to move against Mr Zuma was welcomed as “long overdue” by the foundation of Thabo Mbeki, a former president who was instructed by the ANC to quit in 2008 during a dispute with Mr Zuma, who was then party leader. Mr Mbeki did not contest the order and Mr Zuma became president after elections the following year.