Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Suicide pact twin sisters named

The Australian twin sisters who shot themselves in the head in a suicide pact at a US shooting range have been named in local media reports.

The 29-year-olds have been identified by a Denver TV station as Kristin and Candace Hermeler. They were taken to hospital after the incident at the Family Shooting Centre in Denver, where one later died.

The surviving sister has a serious wound but is recovering, and has told officials the two planned to commit suicide together and that they shot themselves at the range, said Arapahoe County Sheriff's Captain Louie Perea.

"She was angry, upset, frustrated - any of the range of emotions one must feel," Captain Perea said of the surviving sister. "But she still allowed us to complete an interview."

Investigators said each woman shot herself in the head with ammunition bought at the range, one using a rented .22-calibre revolver and the other a rented .22-calibre semiautomatic handgun. Physical evidence and surveillance video from the range supports that claim, he said.

Authorities are waiting for copies of the women's fingerprints from immigration officials. Investigators originally did not know which twin had died and which one survived because they looked so alike.

The sisters, who are from Australia's Victoria state, had been in the Denver area for about five weeks. Captain Perea said one sister underwent gun training two weeks before the shooting, with both came to the range about a week later for additional gun training.

On Monday, the sisters took a taxi to the range from their hotel about six miles away and rented the pistols.

They initially shared a stall next to another patron who was firing a high-powered rifle. After complaining about the noise coming from the stall next to them, range staff moved them to Lane 18.

A short time later, surveillance video captured the suicide and suicide attempt. It showed the sisters falling out of the stall about a half-second apart, with other patrons quickly reacting, Captain Perea said.


From Belfast Telegraph