Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Swedish doctor charged with rape and kidnap after locking woman in bunker

A Swedish doctor has been charged with rape and kidnapping after he confessed to drugging a woman with sedative-laced strawberries and locking her up in a soundproof bunker.

Prosecutors said that the 38-year-old had intended to keep her in the bunker for years.

The man's defence lawyer described the case as an elaborate plot to find a girlfriend, which unravelled when he walked into a police station with the woman on September 18 last year - allegedly to show police that she was fine.

"I haven't seen any case like this. I think it's unusual," prosecutor Peter Claeson said.

Defence lawyer Mari Schaub said her client has confessed to all allegations except rape, but wants the kidnapping charge reduced to a lower charge of deprivation of liberty.

According to the indictment, the defendant built what was meant to look like a machine shed next to his countryside home in southern Sweden. Inside it was a concrete "bunker" with double metal doors.

"The purpose of the building was to keep people incarcerated during an extended period of time without detection," the indictment said.

The doctor, whose name was not published in Sweden in line with privacy rules, allegedly made contact with the victim by phone and met her once before he abducted her in Stockholm on September 12 after careful preparations.

The woman, whose age was not provided in the indictment, passed out after he gave her chocolate-coated strawberries laced with Rohypnol, also known as a "date-rape drug".

Prosecutors say he had sex with her while she was unconscious, which Ms Schaub said he denies.

He then wheeled her to his car in a wheelchair and drove 530 kilometres (330 miles) to his home outside Knislinge, giving her drugs intravenously during the journey to keep her sedated.

Prosecutors said he also brought two rubber masks "featuring an older man and older woman" to avoid being recognised.

When they arrived the next morning, the defendant locked the woman inside the bunker where she remained until September 18, except for a few brief occasions when he led her in handcuffs to his home to take a shower, the indictment said.

He allegedly told the woman he intended to have unprotected sex with her and took blood samples and vaginal samples to check whether she had any diseases.

He said he wanted to keep her there for years and that he planned to lock up other people, too, according to the indictment.

Prosecutors said the defendant's plot started falling apart when he returned to the woman's apartment on September 17 to fetch some of her belongings.

That was when he found out that police were searching for the woman and had changed the locks on her front door.

He returned to his home, picked up the woman, and drove to a Stockholm police station the next day with the intent of picking up the new keys to her apartment and making her assure police that she was fine.

The police officers got suspicious and took the woman aside. She told them she had been kidnapped, and the defendant was arrested, the indictment said.

Ms Schaub described her client as a "very sad and depressed person who wanted a partner" and said he deeply regrets what happened.

"He never meant to hurt anyone," she said.

A psychiatric examination found the defendant mentally fit to stand trial, both the prosecutor and the defence lawyer said. The trial is expected to begin next week.


From Belfast Telegraph