Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Taliban attack devastates Kabul compound even as US deal approaches

Sixteen people died and another 119 were hurt in the suicide bombing in the Afghan capital’s Green Village.

Wounded men receive treatment in a hospital after a large explosion in Kabul (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)
Wounded men receive treatment in a hospital after a large explosion in Kabul (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

By Rahim Faiez and Cara Anna, Associated Press

The Taliban has defended a suicide bombing at an international compound in the Afghan capital which killed at least 16 civilians and wounded 119 others, just hours after a US envoy said he had reached a deal “in principle” with the militant group to end America’s longest war.

Angry Kabul residents whose homes were shredded in the explosion climbed over the buckled blast wall and set part of the Green Village compound on fire.

Thick smoke rose from the compound, home to several foreign organisations and guesthouses, whose location has become a peril to nearby local residents as the Taliban routinely targets it.

bpanews_9bccbc6e-af12-4cd1-b2bd-832637bd7f2e_embedded245009848
Smoke rises as Kabul residents set fire to part of the Green Village compound that has been attacked frequently, a day after a Taliban suicide attack (Rahmat Gul/AP)

“People were screaming and saying, ‘My children are trapped in the rubble,'” one witness, Faiz Ahmad, said.

The Taliban has continued its attacks even as a US envoy said the deal with the insurgents only needs the approval of US president Donald Trump to become a reality.

The accord would include a troop withdrawal, which the Taliban has already portrayed as a victory.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said: “We understand that peace talks are going on … but they must also understand that we are not weak and if we enter into talks … we enter from a strong position.”

He said the attack was a response to raids by US and Afghan forces on civilians in other parts of the country. While he acknowledged there should be less harm to civilians, he said they should not be living near such an important foreign compound.

Interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said some 400 foreigners had been rescued after the suicide bomber targeted the compound late on Monday.

bpanews_9bccbc6e-af12-4cd1-b2bd-832637bd7f2e_embedded245005421
Wounded men in hospital (Rahmat Gul/AP)

Five other attackers were shot and killed by security forces after the suicide bomber detonated a tractor packed with explosives, he said.

The attack occurred just hours after US envoy Zalmay Khalilzad briefed the Afghan government on an agreement “in principle” with the Taliban that would see 5,000 US troops withdraw from five bases in the country within 135 days of a final deal. Between 14,000 and 13,000 troops are currently in the country.

The Green Village also was hit by a suicide car bomber in January, again as Mr Khalilzad was visiting the capital to brief the Afghan government on his negotiations with the Taliban on ending nearly 18 years of fighting.

Hours before Monday’s attack, Mr Khalilzad showed a draft deal to the Afghan president after declaring that they are “at the threshold of an agreement” following the end of the ninth round of US-Taliban talks in Qatar. The agreement still needs Mr Trump’s approval.

There was no immediate comment from Mr Khalilzad after the blast, which was strongly condemned by Afghan president Ashraf Ghani.

Shaken Kabul residents questioned whether the Taliban will respect any agreement, especially after foreign troops withdraw from the country.

bpanews_9bccbc6e-af12-4cd1-b2bd-832637bd7f2e_embedded245005423
Afghan security personnel arrive at the site of the explosion in Kabul (Nishanuddin Khan/AP)

“This what the Taliban are up to in Afghanistan; totally committed to total destruction. Can they be trusted!!??” presidential spokesman Sediq Seddiqi tweeted.

The Taliban carries out such attacks even as the militant group appears to be getting what it wants in a deal with the US — a troop withdrawal.

The group wants all of the some 20,000 US and Nato troops out of Afghanistan immediately, while the US seeks a withdrawal in phases that would depend on the Taliban meeting certain conditions such as a reduction in violence.

Attacks have surged in recent months, including Taliban assaults on two provincial capitals over the weekend, as the group seeks to strengthen its negotiating position not only with the US but with the Afghan government in the even more challenging intra-Afghan talks that are meant to follow a US-Taliban deal on the country’s future.

The Taliban has rejected talks with the government so far, dismissing it as a US puppet.

bpanews_9bccbc6e-af12-4cd1-b2bd-832637bd7f2e_embedded245010494
Smoke rises as angry Kabul residents set fire to part of the Green Village compound (AP)

Some analysts also have warned that some factions of the Taliban might be expressing displeasure with the US deal, though Taliban political leaders at the talks in Qatar have insisted that their tens of thousands of fighters would respect whatever agreement is reached.

The militant group is at its strongest since the US-led invasion to topple its government after the September 11 attacks on the US. The Taliban now controls or holds sway over roughly half of Afghanistan.

The United Nations and others say civilians are suffering, often caught in the cross-fire as government forces, backed by the US, pursue the militants with air strikes and raids. Afghanistan was the world’s deadliest conflict in 2018.

The Taliban spokesman, Mr Mujahid, said that whenever there is a reduction of violence in Afghan cities, the government asserts that the militant group is no longer able to carry out attacks because of stronger Afghan security forces.

“They should realise that they can’t stop the Taliban,” Mr Mujahid said.

“Hopefully they must understand that by now.”

PA

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph