Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

US man held in China says deal made

A US company boss held hostage by his Chinese workers says an agreement has been reached, and he expects to leave his plant in Beijing.

Chip Starnes' captivity began on Friday. Dozens of workers have demanded generous severance packages, even though they were not being laid off.

Mr Starnes told The Associated Press early Thursday that an agreement had been reached between him and the workers, and he had been forced to give in to their demands.

He says the last six days have been "humiliating, embarrassing, saddened".

Starnes says: "We have transferred our funds from the US. I am basically free to go when the funds hit the account here of the company."

He declined to say how much.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph