Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

US prepared for strikes against Iran before approval was withdrawn – official

It was unclear how far the preparations had gone but no shots were fired or missiles launched, the US official said.

Donald Trump summoned his top national security advisers (Evan Vucci/AP)
Donald Trump summoned his top national security advisers (Evan Vucci/AP)

The United States made preparations for a military strike against Iran in retaliation for the downing of a surveillance drone but the operation was abruptly called off with just hours to go, a US official has said.

The targets on Thursday night would have included radars and missile batteries, the official said.

The New York Times reported that President Donald Trump had approved the strikes but then called them off.

The White House on Thursday night declined requests for comment.

bpanews_42b06dcc-a058-4712-90f5-0b6440d6ef3c_embedded2425997
This image released by the US military’s Central Command shows what it describes as the flight path and the site where Iran shot down a US droneNavy RQ-4A Global Hawk in the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday, June 20, 2019. Iran says it shot down the drone over Iranian territorial waters (US Central Command via AP)

Asked earlier in the day about a US response to the attack, Mr Trump said: “You’ll soon find out.”

The swift reversal was a stark reminder of the serious risk of military conflict between US and Iranian forces as the Trump administration combines a “maximum pressure” campaign of economic sanctions with a build-up of American forces in the region.

As tensions have mounted in recent weeks, there have been growing fears that either side could make a dire miscalculation that leads to war.

According to the official, the strikes were recommended by the Pentagon and were among the options presented to senior administration officials.

It was unclear how far the preparations had gone but no shots were fired or missiles launched, the official said.

bpanews_42b06dcc-a058-4712-90f5-0b6440d6ef3c_embedded243648041
Acting defence secretary Patrick Shanahan carries a document labelled secret as he arrives for a meeting with President Donald Trump about Iran at the White House (Alex Brandon/AP)

The military operation was called off at around 7.30pm Washington time, after Mr Trump had spent most of Thursday discussing Iran strategy with top national security advisers and congressional leaders.

The downing of the US drone – a huge, unmanned aircraft – over the Strait of Hormuz prompted accusations from the US and Iran about who was the aggressor.

Iran insisted the drone violated Iranian airspace, while Washington said it had been flying over international waters.

Mr Trump’s initial comments on the attack were succinct.

He declared in a tweet that “Iran made a very big mistake!”

But he also suggested that shooting down the drone – which has a wingspan wider than a Boeing 737 – was a foolish error rather than an intentional escalation, suggesting he may have been looking for some way to avoid a crisis.

“I find it hard to believe it was intentional, if you want to know the truth,” Mr Trump said at the White House.

“I think that it could have been somebody who was loose and stupid that did it.”

Mr Trump, who has said he wants to avoid war and negotiate with Iran over its nuclear ambitions, cast the shootdown as “a new wrinkle … a new fly in the ointment”.

Yet he also said “this country will not stand for it, that I can tell you”.

He said the American drone was unarmed and unmanned and “clearly over international waters”.

It would have “made a big, big difference” if someone had been inside, he said.

But fears of open conflict shadowed much of the discourse in Washington.

Mr Trump summoned his top national security advisers and congressional leaders to the White House for an hour-long briefing in the Situation Room.

bpanews_42b06dcc-a058-4712-90f5-0b6440d6ef3c_embedded243648205
Secretary of state Mike Pompeo arrives for a meeting about Iran at the White House (Alex Brandon/AP)

Attendees included secretary of state Mike Pompeo, national security adviser John Bolton, CIA director Gina Haspel, joint chiefs chairman General Joseph Dunford, acting defence secretary Patrick Shanahan and army secretary Mark Esper, whom Mr Trump has said he will nominate as Pentagon chief.

Mr Pompeo and Mr Bolton have advocated hardline policies against Iran, but Representative Adam Schiff, the chairman of the House intelligence committee, said “the president certainly was listening” when congressional leaders at the meeting urged him to be cautious and not escalate the already tense situation.

On Capitol Hill, leaders urged caution and some politicians insisted the White House must consult with Congress before taking any actions.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said no specific options for a US response were presented at the meeting.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said: “The administration is engaged in what I would call measured responses.”

The Trump administration has been putting increasing economic pressure on Iran for more than a year.

It reinstated punishing sanctions following Mr Trump’s decision to pull the US out of an international agreement intended to limit Iran’s nuclear programme in exchange for relief from earlier sanctions.

The other world powers who remain signed on to the nuclear deal have set a meeting to discuss the US withdrawal and Iran has announced plans to increase its uranium stockpile for June 28, a date far enough in the future to perhaps allow tensions to cool.

We do not have any intention for war with any country, but we are fully ready for war Revolutionary Guard commander General Hossein Salami

On Thursday, Iran called the sanctions “economic terrorism”.

Citing Iranian threats, the US recently sent an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf region and deployed additional troops alongside the tens of thousands already there.

All this has raised fears that a miscalculation or further rise in tensions could push the US and Iran into an open conflict 40 years after Tehran’s Islamic Revolution.

“We do not have any intention for war with any country, but we are fully ready for war,” Revolutionary Guard commander General Hossein Salami said in a televised address.

The paramilitary guard, which answers only to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said it shot down the drone at 4.05am on Thursday when it entered Iranian airspace near the Kouhmobarak district in southern Iran’s Hormozgan province.

Kouhmobarak is about 1,200 kilometres (750 miles) south east of Tehran.

Taking issue with the US version of where the attack occurred, Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted that his country had retrieved sections of the military drone “in OUR territorial waters where it was shot down”.

He said: “We don’t seek war but will zealously defend our skies, land & waters.”

Air force Lt Gen Joseph Guastella, commander of US Central Command air forces in the region, disputed that contention, telling reporters that the aircraft was 34 kilometres (21 miles) from the nearest Iranian territory and flying at high altitude when struck by a surface-to-air missile.

The US military has not commented on the mission of the remotely piloted aircraft that can fly higher than 10 miles in altitude and stay in the air for more than 24 hours at a time.

“This attack is an attempt to disrupt our ability to monitor the area following recent threats to international shipping and free flow of commerce,” he said.

We're worried that he and the administration may bumble into a war Senator Chuck Schumer

Late on Thursday, the Federal Aviation Administration barred American-registered aircraft from flying over parts of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman.

Democratic leaders in particular urged the president to work with US allies and stressed the need for caution to avoid any unintended escalation.

Senator Chuck Schumer said he told Mr Trump that conflicts have a way of escalating and “we’re worried that he and the administration may bumble into a war”.

PA

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph