Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Woman freed after home bomb ordeal

A young woman apparently trapped by a booby-trapped bomb strapped to her body has been safely freed by an explosives squad in Australia after a 10-hour ordeal.

Police in Sydney still do not know whether the device is an explosive but are looking for the person who planted the device in the woman's home in an upmarket suburb.

New South Wales state Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Murdoch said: "We want to get our hands on who's done this."

Police said they were called to the house in Mosman by the 18-year-old woman at around 2.30 p.m.

They kept a tight lid on information throughout, and while Mr Murdoch said the suspicious device was found near the teen, he refused to confirm reports it had been tethered to her body. The device was still intact on the girl's release, he said.

She was doing well and was with her parents, he said.

"She's good - she's been kept in a very uncomfortable position," Mr Murdoch said. "She has been and will be uncomfortable for a little while to come."

He said it was "far too early to say" whether the device was part of an extortion attempt, and refused to comment on a report that a note had been left alongside it. He said police had no ideas as to a motive.

"The family are at a loss to explain this," he said. "You would hardly think that someone would go to this much trouble if there wasn't a motive behind it."

He described the device as "very elaborate, very sophisticated."

"The manner in which it was located in proximity to the young lady was such that it has taken us the better part of 10 hours to secure her release," he said.

Mr Murdoch said the state police consulted with Australia's federal police agency and the British military during the ordeal.

"We have left absolutely no stone unturned to make sure that we met our objective - and that objective always was the safety of the young lady," he said.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph