Social Development Minister Nelson McCausland has announced the appointment of Councillor Frank Britton as a Housing Council member to the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.
Minister McCausland said: “I welcome the appointment of Councillor Britton particularly as this will bring the Board up to full strength. Councillor Britton brings to the role practical experience and an understanding of corporate governance, accounting and financial management. He also understands the current challenges and strategic operating environment in relation to housing issues and has experience of implementing change in a major organisation. This is essential as we continue to deliver our current challenging agenda and as we take forward the reform of social housing.”
His appointment term will be from 17 February 2014 to 31 March 2015 and he will receive £6,740 per annum.
Notes to editors:
1. The Northern Ireland Housing Executive is a Non-Departmental Public Body, established by the Housing Executive Act (Northern Ireland) 1971. Under this Act, the Housing Executive took over the housing responsibilities of 65 separate authorities and became Northern Ireland’s overall housing authority. The Housing Executive is also one of Northern Ireland’s largest public sector organisations. With a budget of over £590million and a staff of approximately 3,000 the Housing Executive make a substantial contribution to better health, education and wellbeing through housing.
2. The appointment has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice. The final decision on appointments rested with the Minister.
3. All of the Housing Council appointments will be appointed to 31 March 2015 to take into account the restructuring of the Councils and the impact this may have on local representatives.
4. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
5. Councillor Britton is a member of the Northern Ireland Housing Council. He is a member of the Social Democratic & Labour Party and holds no other public appointments.