The Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister (OFMDFM) today announced the re-appointment of Chris Thompson and Frank Hewitt to the Strategic Investment Board.
The re-appointment takes effect from 1 December 2013 and will be up to 30 November 2016. Mr Thompson and Mr Hewitt have both served their first term on the SIB Board from 1 December 2010 to the 30 November 2013.
Notes to editors:
1. The Strategic Investment Board Ltd (SIB) was legally established as a company limited by guarantee and fully funded by the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister on 1 April 2003. For administrative purposes it is classified as an Executive Non-Departmental Public Body, sponsored by OFMDFM.
2. SIB Supports the Northern Ireland Executive to successfully deliver major, and complex, infrastructure projects – helping to accelerate the ongoing transformation of the region into an excellent location in which to live, work and invest. Detailed information on the Strategic Investment Board can be accessed at[http:www.sibni.org]http:www.sibni.org
3. The board of SIB is made up of a chair, six Non-Executive Directors and an Executive Director.
4. The position of Board Member of the Strategic Investment Board Ltd carries an annual remuneration of £11,000.
5. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, for purposes of transparency the political activity of appointees is published.
6. Mr Chris Thompson
Mr Thompson brings senior management skills and experience, including an understanding of the role of the Board, prioritisation and the handling of conflicting priorities. He has also served effectively as Chair of the SIB Audit Committee. Mr Thompson is currently Non-Executive Chairman of G4S locally. He is also an Independent Non-Executive adviser to a number of private sector organisations - Tughans (from March, 2010) and TotalMobile (from February, 2012). He has also provided advice on an ad hoc basis to a number of public sector organisations. A former civil servant, he was Chief Executive of the Social Security Agency from November 1997 to December 2003. From January 2004 to April 2008 he was Corporate Services Director in the Department of Finance and Personnel responsible for corporate services and many aspects of the NICS Reform Programme. Mr Thompson has not declared any political activities.
Mr Frank Hewitt
Mr Hewitt brings experience in the role of a Non-Executive Director in a public sector body including providing constructive challenge and feedback to the Executive Officers. He has experience in corporate governance which he has used to bring best practice ideas into the organisation. Mr Hewitt is a former Civil Servant and was Deputy Chief Executive of the Industrial Development Board between 1988 and 1996. He also spent part of his career in the private sector and was Chief Executive of NI Growth Challenge (1996 until 2002) and CEO of the NI Chamber of Commerce (2002 until 2008). He is currently Non-Executive Chairman of the NI Science Park (NISP), responsible for the strategic development of NISP, and Non-Executive Chair of the Northern Ireland Committee of the Big Lottery Fund. He is also a main board member of the Big Lottery Fund. He is a Non-Executive Board member of Invest NI, and Non-Executive Board member of the Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company. Since 2002 Mr Hewitt has been German Honorary Consul. Mr Hewitt has not declared any political activities.