Belfast Telegraph

Water way to term a puddle

By Lindy McDowell

Standing water. Where did that come from? It used to be referred to as lying water (in the reclining as opposed to deceitful sense).

Now though, the meteorological term of choice to describe large quantities of precipitation puddling on the highway is standing water. Why? How? I suppose since it isn't going anywhere you could describe it as standing. In which case I think I prefer the more accurate loitering. I can't stand 'standing water'.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph