Statistical Press Release - Clinical/Social Care Negligence Cases in Northern Ireland (2012/13)
Stormont Executive press release - Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety today published statistics collected from Health & Social Care (HSC) Trusts, Agencies and Legacy Health and Social Services (HSS) Boards on all clinical/social care negligence cases in Northern Ireland open during the year ending 31 March 2013.
The statistical bulletin presents information on clinical/social care negligence cases that were open at any stage during the year ending 31 March 2013.
The key findings presented in the statistics release are listed below.
Year End (as at 31 March 2013):
· At 31st March 2013 - 2,636 clinical/social care negligence cases remained open in Northern Ireland (Table 2, Figure 2).
Position During the 2012/13 Year:
· During 2012/13 - 3,315 clinical/social care negligence cases were open at any stage, an increase of 157 (5.0%), from 3,158 during 2011/12 (Table 1, Figure 1).
· In 2012/13, 579 new cases were opened, 529 cases were closed and 150 cases were settled (Table 2, Figures 3, 4 & 5).
· Over a quarter (955, 28.8%) of clinical/social care negligence cases open at any stage during 2012/13 referred to ‘Treatment’ (Table 6, Figure 8).
· In 2012/13, almost a fifth (565, 17.0%) of clinical/social care negligence cases had been treated in the ‘Accident & Emergency’ specialty, 26 (4.8%) more than in 2010/11 (Table 8, Figure 10).
· A total of £50.4 million has been paid to date on the 3,315 clinical/social care negligence cases which were open at any stage during 2012/13 (Table 9).
· Over £37.2 million was awarded in damages and £13.2 million was paid out in legal costs (defence and plaintiff) on clinical/social care negligence cases which were open at any stage during 2012/13 (Table 9).
· Almost two fifths (37.1%, £18.7million), of the amount paid out on clinical/social care negligence cases open at any stage during 2012/13 referred to the ‘Obstetrics’ speciality with over four fifths of this (81.0%, £15.1million) paid on damages (Table 10).
The information release is published on the Departmental website at: http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/index/stats_research/hospital-stats/clinical_social_negligence.htm
Belfast Telegraph Digital