Statistical Press Release - Publication of ‘Children Adopted from Care in Northern Ireland 2012/13’
Stormont Executive press release - Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety has today published the ‘Children Adopted from Care in Northern Ireland 2012/13’.
This bulletin details statistical information relating to children adopted from care in Northern Ireland, during the year ending 31 March 2013. The tables within the bulletin present a range of information about these children, including gender and age and durations between different stages in the adoption process. The bulletin is based on the DHSSPS statistical return AD1 2012/13, which was collected from each of the five Health and Social Care Trusts in Northern Ireland.
· Eighty eight children were adopted from care during the year ending 31 March 2013 - 28 more than in 2012 (60);
· Almost one third of all children adopted came from the Belfast HSC Trust (31%), followed by the Southern HSC Trust (20%) whereas the Northern and Western HSC Trusts both had 18% of the adoptions. 13% originated from the South Eastern HSC Trust;
· In 2012/13, the average age of children adopted from care was four years 10 months;
· As in 2011/12, from the last entry into care, the average length of time for a child to be adopted in 2012/13 was three years five months;
· For children adopted in 2012/13, the average duration from the Trust LAC Best Interest Proposal to adoption was two years seven months, three months longer than in 2011/12;
· Fifty four children were adopted by their foster carers in 2012/13. This represented 61% of the overall number of adoptions;
· The average age of children adopted by their foster carers was five years three months compared with four years three months for other adopted children;
· The average length of time from last entry into care to adoption for foster care adoptions was three years nine months, 10 months longer than for other adopted children.
Notes to editors:
1. This publication is available on line at: http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/index/stats_research/stats-cib/statistics_and_research-cib-pub/children_statistics/statistics_and_research-cib_adoption.htm
2. About the data:
The source of the data contained in this release is the Departmental AD1 statistical return, collected from Health and Social Services Trusts during the period 1 April 2013 to 31 August 2013.
3. This statistical bulletin was produced by Community Information Branch, DHSSPS.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Stormont Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 522580
Fax: (028) 90 523288
Belfast Telegraph Digital