Zipping Laganside into shape - McCausland
Stormont Executive press release - Department for Social Development
Social Development Minister Nelson McCausland has published the Masterplan for Queen’s Quay site on the Lagan’s east bank.
The Queen’s Quay Masterplan proposes the creation of a lively riverside frontage, better pedestrian links along the east bank of the Lagan and across the bridge into the centre of Belfast, phased over five stages. Phase one envisages public realm improvements with an integrated cycle route and new areas of grassed public spaces. Later phases of the masterplan propose a mixed use approach including a 4 star hotel, residential use and a food and beverage provision along the waterfront.
Announcing his plans, the Minister said: “Over the course of the last three decades there has been a major transformation of this part of the city with an investment of over £1billion in redevelopment. The Queen’s Quay proposals present a very exciting opportunity for Laganside development and will be a further asset to Belfast’s social and tourism infrastructure.
“Once completed these new proposals will benefit a wide range of Belfast’s citizens and visitors from cyclists to tourists to outdoor activity enthusiasts including the innovative proposal for a permanent zipline across the Lagan. "
He added: “The Queen’s Quay Masterplan will enhance the economic and social development of Belfast’s riverfront; its city centre; and, adjacent neighbourhoods to the north and east of the site. Queen’s Quay is the final stage of redevelopment of the Laganside area and this plan will complete a 25 year transformation of the area.
“I look forward to seeing these new developments take shape over the course of the next few years.”
Notes to editors:
1. The Queen’s Quay masterplan sets out a phased implementation of this site in recognition of the prevailing market conditions and the preparatory works that are required pre-development. In the short term, the department will develop three key areas of works: public realm improvements, an upgrade of the Lagan Walkway Bridge and provision of a Zipline/Viewing Tower. These will be taken forward subject to the necessary business cases and available funding.
2. The Masterplan constitutes supplementary guidance to “The Laganside Corporation Dissolution Order (Northern Ireland) 2006”.
3. DSD may use the Masterplan as a basis to prepare Development Briefs for appropriate parts of the site, which will provide clear guidance to developers on the type of scheme that would be supported within Queen’s Quay (QQ).
4. Copies of the Masterplan and Responses to the consultation on the Draft QQ Regeneration Masterplan are available online at: http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/bccd-queens-quay-masterplan.htm
5. Hard copies of the Masterplan are also available at Department for Social Development, Belfast City Centre Regeneration Directorate, 4th Floor Oxford House, 49-55 Chichester Street, Belfast BT1 4HH. Telephone 028 9027 7653.
Belfast Telegraph Digital