Belfast Telegraph

Home Opinion Letters

Post-Brexit border will devastate Irish trade

The whole island of Ireland will be affected by Brexit despite, based on 2016 figures, only 12% of its entire population voting to leave the EU.

It simply does not seem rational that 12% of the population can dictate the future of the remaining 88%. Trade and commerce both within and outside of Ireland is greatly boosted by the invisible border which has evolved over the past number of years.

It is not rocket science to acknowledge that the installation of any semblance of a border dividing the island will have a negative effect on business.

Any delay in the movement of goods will invariably add to the cost of those goods. The very least that needs to happen for the purposes of trade after Brexit is for the entire island of Ireland to continue as one entity.


Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph