| 11.1°C Belfast

School staff did wonders for my son's education

With regard to recent reports about education standards at Crumlin Integrated College, I would like to inform you of the good teaching practices evident during my son's education there.

My son left primary school with a 'D' in his 11-Plus, but after the help, tuition and support of the teachers at Crumlin Integrated College he is now ready to sit nine GCSEs, which illustrates the dedication of the teachers and staff and their ability to motivate and nurture a desire to learn.

In that time, he has had problems, but when issues were raised with the school, these were dealt with promptly and effectively.

My son has found Crumlin Integrated College to be a close-knit school, with the teachers knowing the pupils by name, treating them as individuals, helping them to grow and develop as young people. In his opinion, teachers have been wrongly blamed for any perceived shortcomings in previous results and teaching practice.

After attending the parents' meeting, I found that 75% of the parents were supportive of the school, but the other 25% were more interested in the so-called 'failings' of the school.

I would hope that the positive and justified support for the school will remain strong to ensure that the board of governors, staff and pupils have the parental backing they need to help the school to recover from this detrimental PR and move on in the coming months so that they can excel in years to come.


Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Crumlin, Co Antrim

Top Videos