Belfast Telegraph

Home Opinion Letters

Storm victims of today must be our priority

It is wonderful to read about how "Jersey Shore star Pauly D is donating proceeds from his Remix cocktail drink to assist with restoration efforts." (Online, November 8).

Victims of Superstorm Sandy need all the help they can get.

There is a source of money that should now be tapped to help prepare for the next big storms that will inevitably hit the world in the future.

Of the roughly $97bn (£61bn) spent each year in the world on climate finance, only 5% of it goes to preparation and adaptation. The other 95% of it is devoted to controlling global climate decades in the future, something increasing numbers of climate experts tell us is impossible.

It is time to re-evaluate our priorities. Taking actions to help people survive extreme weather in today's world is more important than taking actions that might help people decades from now.


International Climate Science Coalition

Ontario, Canada

To email your letter to the Editor click here

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph