Anger, division, conflict. Once more Northern Ireland stares down the barrel, but this time it's the academic futures of P7 pupils that the sights are trained on.
Never before in the history of the transfer test has the system of academic selection come under more scrutiny.
On, off and now, after a day of indecision, half the party is on again after one examiner said it would look to hold a single test on February 27. It's a crazy situation.
Always an emotive topic, the merits of placing students in grammar schools has long been a tradition in Northern Ireland, but many recoil at the idea of testing children aged 10 and 11 at a time before many are ready to cope with the challenge and pressure the testing process brings with it.
This year that pressure was ramped up to an incredible level.
The first of this year's tests was due to take place on Saturday and while all may have been calm once 8,000 children had taken their seats in test centres, a storm would have been raging around them.
The debate in the run up to the tests, which had already been postponed from their usual November date, wasn't centred around the relative merits and detractions of academic selection. It was whether or not the idea of those 8,000 turning up to take the test was safe in the current environment.
The pressure was already being ramped up on a beleaguered Education Minister to cancel - though the private bodies running the tests would have a say. Hands looked to have been finally forced by growing Covid cases and Boris Johnson's announcement on Monday night that all schools in England would move to remote learning immediately and all exams would not be able to go ahead as planned.
Mr Weir was giving the transfer test, and the hope of keeping schools open, every chance. He seemed to have run out of chances.
It all smacked of a 'let's keep our fingers crossed and hope things work out OK' policy. Fingers have been burnt and no amount of bandaging will take away that pain. Wounds will have to be nursed, as too will the thousands of children and parents who prepared for this a second time only for it all to be pulled from under them again.
Then the AQE replaced the rug.
While many will be quick to pick up arms against the idea of academic selection, that wasn't the issue this time around. Safety is.
When Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill said she believed the tests should not proceed on Monday, adding that Mr Weir "needs to act now", the writing was on the wall that there would be no writing on the test papers.
She also said that she expected "clarity" from the Stormont Executive.
What will the DUP be faced with should the pupils transfer to grammars seamlessly now tests have been called off? That's the conundrum now facing the DUP Minister. More and more it's beginning to look like Custer's last stand. It's circle the wagons time but the arrows will rain down.
Ahead of Tuesday's decision, Peter Weir said: "A range of protective measures are being put in place for the tests."
But those 'protective measures' were sketchy at best. That's why there was another clamour for 'clarity'. It's a call we're getting all to used to and here we are again.
While the Education Minister said the transfer test would not amount to a 'free-for-all' mass gathering of pupils from various schools in one location, it led to a free-for-all in terms of criticism.
What's needed now are sensible heads. But calls will rise for academic selection to stop in its entirety, and no matter what critics of the procedure say, the underlying assertion is that the issues over the merits of selection through testing is going to be under more intense pressure whether this weekend's test now goes ahead or not.
That was a risk the DUP seemed unwilling to take, and now we have another U-turn in what is fast becoming an education system travelling around in circles.
Spare a thought, then, for the head teachers who are left to plot a way through the minefield now laid out before them.
"I am just so sad for our children and their families that we are in this situation today," said Graham Gault, president of the National Association of Head Teachers here.
"There have been many months for a Plan B to be drawn up and as the urgency of a contingency plan has increased there has been little progress made in this regard.
"The Minister has worked hard to protect the system but it does feel that the actual wellbeing of the children has not been at the forefront of any planning."
The mental health aspect has not gone unnoticed either.
Professor Siobhan O'Neill, interim mental health champion, said: "It adds to the mental health implications of the tests, we already have children under significant pressure as a result of the pandemic," she said. "I think it is unacceptable."
Of course there are lessons to be learnt. Aren't there always? But you only get a gold star for your work if you get the answers right. Clear and concise answers get the best results. And just when you think the answer is becoming clear, the question changes again.