Joris Minne: Ramore restaurant owner made wrong move staying open after rat drama
No restaurateur wants pests but when they do show up, surely the best course of action is to close shop, get the pest control and environmental health people in immediately, secure a clean bill of health and restore public confidence as quickly as possible.
The Ramore was unlucky on two fronts.
Firstly, because the rat managed to get into the dining room, and secondly, because sharp-eyed filmmakers were there with their phone cameras to capture the moment. In the light of that, it might have been advised to make a big show of immediately closing.
Reports from diners at the scene said as soon as the rat had been disposed of (brutally and in full view), the waiter brought their order to the table.
According to the Food Standards Agency for Northern Ireland, the matter was dealt with the next morning by the environmental health team at Causeway Coast and Glens Council. This means that the local authority carried out a thorough inspection to determine whether or not there was an infestation.
Health officers liaising with pest control agents confirmed that no infestation existed, and that means the Ramore is free to open as usual.
Council officers will continue to monitor the restaurant.
Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.
It is unclear as to whether or not the Ramore's four-star hygiene rating is affected by the event.