| 11.4°C Belfast

Cacace still on the right track despite delay: Magee

Close

Anthony Cacace

Anthony Cacace

Getty Images

Anthony Cacace

Anthony Cacace is now expected to make the first defence of his British super-featherweight title in December.

A combination of lockdown and illness has continued to push back the Belfast man's return to the ring and it has been confirmed that his clash with former Commonwealth title challenger Leon Woodstock this Saturday night has been postponed.

While it is naturally a frustrating time for the 31-year-old, manager Pat Magee remains confident that Cacace will reap the rewards of a successful defence against Woodstock before the end of the year.

Indeed, it has been mooted that should he come through against Woodstock the Belfast man would then be lined up for a showdown with unbeaten Archie Sharp of Kent who is ranked at four by the WBO, while Cacace currently stands at number 10 in the WBA ratings.

"It has been a frustrating time for Anthony because this is the second time that we have had to postpone the fight, but the bigger picture is still very bright for him," said manager Pat Magee.

"He has this fight with Woodstock and all being well that will set him up for an exciting 2021 and with Anthony's standing in the WBA we have to be looking at world title fight next year.

"We got a glimpse of what Anthony can do when he defeated Sam Bowen to win the British title last year, but there is much more to come from him.

"We have a five-fight deal with Queensberry Promotions and that means all his fights will be on BT Sport so Anthony is in a very good position, particularly considering the current situation with fights having to take place behind closed doors due to the virus.

"He will start training again with his coach Harry Hawkins and then we will see about setting up some sparring with Carl Frampton, who is hoping to fight for the WBO title and has said he would be keen to work with Anthony leading up to it."

Meanwhile, unbeaten former World featherweight champion Shakur Stevenson insists that he should be challenging WBO super-feather title holder Jamel Herring next and not Frampton.

Stevenson held the WBO's featherweight belt and when he moved up a division was automatically slated as the mandatory challenger for the 9st 4lb belt held by Herring.

Frampton and Herring, both promoted by American company Top Rank are expected to fight for the title either in December or January, but, Stevenson, remains hopeful that the WBO will order Herring to face him first.

Belfast Telegraph