Cacace's bid for British title joy boosted by Falls Park stage
Belfast super-featherweight Anthony Cacace's hopes of British title glory have been given a huge boost as he will now challenge champion Sam Bowen on August 3 at the Falls Park.
Cacace and Bowen had been pencilled in to meet on July 13 in London but it has now been moved to the chief supporting bout to Michael Conlan's grudge clash with Russian Vladimir Nikitin at the Feile.
The response to the bill, which will be shown on ESPN across America, has even surprised Conlan's brother Jamie, who is central to the organisation of the show.
"It has surpassed even my expectations. Ticketmaster sold 8,000 tickets on the day they went on sale and we only kept a few back for the fighters. Though, we are having another meeting to see if we can add 2,000 more seats to the venue," said Conlan.
"To have this fight between Anthony Cacace and Sam Bowen added to the bill is just fantastic. It's a great clash of styles and should make for a great fight."
Cacace's manager Pat Magee naturally welcomed the change of venue and believes the Belfast man will thrive on having home advantage in such a critical fight.
Both men are world rated and for 30-year-old Cacace it is now or never to prove his title credentials. The fight had gone out to purse bids and Frank Warren won the right to stage the fight.
"I'm delighted that Frank Warren has put forward this change of venue and I hope we have the success we had with Tommy McCarthy three years ago at Falls Park when he had a very important win," said Magee.
"When it was initially put to me that the original date of July 13 would not work and that it could be September before the fight took place I could not agree to that so when they came back and offered the Falls Park show I was more than happy to accept that.
"Bowen is quite content to come here which shows his confidence and for Anthony it's a golden chance to win the British title."