Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Boxing

Carl Frampton targets quick route to world title after rubbishing 'mad' conspiracy theories over freak accident

Carl Frampton, pictured, has been forced to pull out of his scheduled bout against Emmanuel Dominguez (Martin Rickett/PA)
Carl Frampton, pictured, has been forced to pull out of his scheduled bout against Emmanuel Dominguez (Martin Rickett/PA)

Carl Frampton is determined to take a direct route to a world title fight after shooting down conspiracy theories over his freak accident earlier this week.

The Jackal broke a bone in his hand when a large, concrete ornament fell and hit him in a Philadelphia hotel jut five days before his scheduled bout against Emmanuel Dominguez.

The plan was for victory over the Mexican to pave the way to another shot at a world title as Frampton returns from his December defeat to IBF featherweight champ Josh Warrington.

While Northern Irish boxing legend Dave 'Boy' McAuley has warned that 32-year-old Frampton may not be able to fight again until next year, the man himself is looking to make sure his original timetime to a world attempt isn't too badly affected.

"I don't want to have another fight like this," he told Joe. "The plan was to have this fight and fight for a world title. The plan is now still to fight for a world title. This fight hasn't happened for whatever reason. I'm absolutely gutted but I don't want to have another Emmanuel Dominguez type opponent and then fight for a world title.

"I'm not getting any younger. I don't want to be sitting around waiting here. I want to be involved in big fights and go straight back into a big title."

The question is, against who and at what weight?

The original plan was to take on WBO featherweight champ Oscar Valdez at the end of the year.

However, Valdez has vacated his belt in order to move up to super-featherweight, where he is expected to face WBO title holder Jamel Herring. That leaves Shakur Stevenson due to fight Joet Gonzalez for the vacant featherweight belt.

Top Rank founder Bob Arum has advised that joining Valdez at 130lb would be a 'quicker route' to a world title bout for Frampton with the likes of IBF champ Tevin Farmer or WBC holder Miguel Berchelt potential options.

"That's the hardest fight of the super featherweights," said Frampton of Mexican Berchelt. "But I'm happy to fight them.

"I want to fight a champion. I want to go out in a blaze of glory here. I want to be a world champion. If I get offered a shot against any world champion, featherweight or super featherweight, I'm taking it. Absolutely no doubt in my mind."

After Frampton's accident on Monday, some were pointing back to the unravelling of his 2017 bout with Andres Gutierrez with less than 24 hours notice.

Gutierrez slipped in the shower, suffering facial cuts, bruising to the head and two broken teeth, forcing him to pull out of the fight. Frampton had earlier weighed in a pound over the featherweight limit.

DF2j85mXkAIVF5a.png
Fight off : Andres Gutierrez shows off his horror injuries after slipping in the shower on the eve of the bout with Carl Frampton which has now been cancelled

"You talk about Gutierrez fight and then what happened here, it looks bizarre and it is bizarre," admitted Frampton to BBC as he addressed 'mad conspiracy theories'.

"We've got enough evidence documented, I've got x-ray photographs that will be released at some point. Once I get the disc put into a computer and printed out, we can release x-ray images of the hand, that it's broke. We've got enough documented evidence to show that this was a real incident.

"You've got conspiracy theorists and other people who like to put their nose in and say silly things. I can't let that bother me. I know what happened and I've got a lot of support."

Frampton also said that legal action over his incident in the hotel 'is an option'.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph