Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Boxing

'I'm absolutely devastated': Carl Frampton confirms US comeback fight is off after freak hotel accident

Carl Frampton has been forced to withdraw from his fight against Emmanuel Dominguez this weekend after suffering a freak hand injury in a hotel lobby.
Carl Frampton has been forced to withdraw from his fight against Emmanuel Dominguez this weekend after suffering a freak hand injury in a hotel lobby.
Frampton shows off the inuries to his left hand.
In Frampton's twitter video, he showed damage to a table in the lobby of the hotel.
Carl Frampton has been forced to withdraw from his fight against Emmanuel Dominguez this weekend after suffering a freak hand injury in a hotel lobby.

Carl Frampton has pulled out of his fight against Emmanuel Dominguez after breaking his left hand in the lobby of his US hotel in what he called a "freak accident".

The 32-year-old Belfast boxer was due to make his first return to the ring since his defeat by Josh Warrington in December in Philadelphia on Saturday night.

Frampton was to headline the Top Rank card in his debut for the outfit, with the fight to be shown live on ESPN+.

In a Twitter post, the Jackal confirmed he was injured when a large onarment in the hotel lobby was knocked over accidentally and hit him on the left hand, "fracturing the 5th metacarpal".

"I'm extremely disappointed for the travelling support and for myself and my team", Frampton wrote on Monday night.

"I've put everything into this camp, I've been away from my amazing wife and kids for most of it and it all feels like a waste".

Frampton hand 1.jpg
Frampton shows off the inuries to his left hand.

He added: "Although it was out of my control, I'd like to apologise to Emmanuel, MTK Global, Top Rank, my team, my travelling support and to my wife and kids for being away so long.

"I'm absolutely devastated."

Frampton said that he faces four to six weeks out of action and has put 'close to £30k' into a training camp.

"I haven't got four to six weeks, have I? The fight's on Saturday night," he told Joe.

"People expect you to say this about your training camps being good and perfect but this is the most disciplined I've ever been in sparring, listening to instructions, in bag work and everything. I've just been disciplined and I go and get my hand smashed.

"(The ornament) should be nailed to the floor, and it isn't. You couldn't make it up."

Just six hours before reports of the accident broke, Frampton tweeted a video of himself on a treadmill, writing: "Last hard session completed. It's fight week now, training done, time to focus on the fight!"

The former champion at super-bantamweight and featherweight is attempting to secure another world title fight. He had been hoping victory over Dominguez would set up a bout against WBO champ Oscar Valdez later this year.

Frampton hand 3.jpg
In Frampton's twitter video, he showed damage to a table in the lobby of the hotel.

However, news broke in recent days that Valdez has vacated his belt as he looks to move up to super featherweight.

While Top Tank founder Bob Arum has said that joining Valdez at the 130lb weight would be a "quicker" route to a world title fight, the latest development casts further doubt over Frampton's immediate future.

In July 2017 Frampton's bout against Andres Gutierrez in Belfast was called off at the last minute after the Mexican suffered serious injuries in a fall in the shower.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph