Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Boxing

Matthew Wilton on cloud nine after victory

By Steve Wellings

Undefeated Belfast light-welterweight Matthew Wilton recorded his ninth professional victory with a 60-54 win over Lewie O'Mara at the Holiday Inn.

Wilton showed smooth boxing skills and dominated the rounds, keeping O'Mara at a safe distance with jabs to the head and left hooks to the body. Portsmouth's O'Mara was busy but failed to let his hands go often enough as referee Hugh Russell made sure the action in this six-rounder flowed.

The only blemish on a perfect evening occurred in the fourth round when 'Speedy' suffered a cut to the left eye. That was expertly dealt with by the corner team of Alan Wilton and Bernardo Checa, who guided Matthew across the finishing line.

Jane Wilton and Belfast Promotions ran this well-attended fight card that offered a chance for an eclectic mix of local talent to showcase their skills.

Performance of the night must surely go to light-welterweight Anthony Upton, who stopped Alec Bazza in the fourth round (scheduled for four-threes).

The 22-year-old displayed multiple skills and landed combinations from all angles as his opponent hung in and tried to see out the distance.

In round two Upton stepped off to the side as Bazza bulldozed in and landed a swiping left hook to drop Bazza to the canvas. He rose and fought on but was down again in the third round from a glancing right hand to the chin. Referee John Lowey was examining Bazza closely in the final round when Upton moved up the gears, switching his languid style for a more purposeful front-foot assault as he sought a second professional victory.

It came at 1:55 in the fourth when a right hand thumped into Bazza's face and sent him sprawling across the canvas. The Belfast boxer commendably tried to continue but it was rightly stopped by Mr Lowey.

Popular featherweight Paul Quinn sent his legion of fans home happy again with a 40-36 victory over Swindon's Joe Beedon. Beedon entered the ring in buoyant mood after a shock win in his last bout that ended a nine-fight winless streak.

Paul warmed to the task as the rounds went by, finding his double jab and using some sharp right hands to draw blood from Beedon's nose. Later, Quinn revealed that he had hurt his right hand in the second session.

Mark Morris opened the show in explosive style with a first-round knockout over Birmingham's Ryan Corrigan. Southpaw Corrigan had two previous wins and was eager to engage until a stunning right hand landed flush on the jaw and deposited him to the canvas. Dazed and confused the visitor hauled himself upright.

Referee Hugh Russell was not convinced and terminated the contest at 1:57 of the opener. Morris later explained how he had been working on the right hand in training and when he realised his opponent was a southpaw the Gleann prodigy adjusted his approach accordingly.

* DUNGIVEN'S Eamonn O'Kane will face Mexican Alvaro Gaona for the vacant WBC International Silver middleweight title on the undercard of Carl Frampton's World super-bantamweight title final eliminator at the Odyssey Arena on April 4.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph