Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Boxing

Nikitin withdraws from Feile fight against Conlan - replacement sought

Michael Conlan
Michael Conlan

Vladimir Nikitin has withdrawn from his fight with Michael Conlan at the west Belfast Feile due to injury.

Jamie Conlan of promoters MTK Global has said that a replacement fighter will be sought for the August event.

“These things happen in boxing and we’ll now be looking to bring in an opponent that’ll be a harder fight than Nikitin would have been," he said.

Nikitin suffered a torn bicep in training which has forced him to pull out of the August 3 fight in Falls Park.

The Feile fight was set to be a rematch of their 2016 Rio Olympics bout in which Conlan was controversially defeated by the Russian.

Conlan had been looking forward to the highly anticipated rematch.

"This is the fight I've wanted since that day, August 16th 2016, which was the worst day in my amateur career and is a wrong that needs to be wrote the right way this time," the Belfast fighter said earlier this month.

"I'm really looking forward to it, it's probably the first fight I've been able to get up for because it's the only fight I've wanted since then.

"This has been something that's been looming over my head since I turned professional, and it's what my amateur career will be remembered for. The fact I can take that away and fix it, I'm very grateful to my management team MTK and my promotion team Top Rank, and obviously Feile an Phobail.

"This will put my amateur career to bed and let me move on to bigger and better things as a pro and achieve everything I set out to achieve."

It's a second major blow to the card within 48 hours as Sam Bowen was forced to withdraw from his British super-featherweight title fight with Belfast's Anthony Cacace.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph