Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Boxing

Wilton back with a bang after year-long break

By Steve Wellings

Luke Wilton returned from a year-long boxing hiatus to out-point Brett Fidoe 40-38 at the Shorts Club on Saturday evening .

Worcester battler Fidoe has many losses on his record but knows how to negotiate the distance.

Brett tucked up early and made things difficult for Wilton in the opening two sessions before letting his hands go and landing some decent shots in the third.

Luke grappled with him on the inside for long spells and the 28-year-old Belfast man later admitted that he needed longer than the four rounds to get into a groove.

"It took me about three rounds to chip the rust off. I'll be back better and stronger in May or June," said Luke.

Matthew Wilton outscored Lithuania's Arvydas Trizno 60-54. Matthew started sharply and Trizno struggled with the combinations, using his ring smarts to block and hold.

Both men settled into a rhythm as the fight progressed and seemed happy to box to a six-round conclusion.

Wilton's snappy jab and left hook worked well throughout but Trizno has had nearly 100 fights and rarely gets stopped.

Matthew - now unbeaten in 15 fights - is keen to push towards domestic title contention after he puts another keep-busy win or two on the record.

Scoring judge Hugh Russell Jnr was unable to split Tony Nellins and Ross Jameson after four rounds of non-stop action.

The 39-39 verdict was about right as neither man deserved to be declared the loser after giving their all.

Middlesbrough man Jameson worked the uppercut and left hook well while Nellins tried to use the jab but found himself progressively getting dragged in to a brawl.

Belfast's Nellins said later that he would pursue a rematch to set the record straight.

Ryan Greene hadn't been seen in a ring since losing to Eamonn O'Kane in the middleweight Prizefighter five years ago way back in 2012.

The Lurgan man is giving it another go and started out with a 40-37 win over journeyman Liam Griffiths.

Sustaining a cut in the third round and blowing hard at the finish, Greene knew he was back in the fight game by the end of the contest.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph