Conor McGregor pulled out of Nate Diaz fight after UFC retirement claim
Conor McGregor appeared to have announced his retirement from UFC, with sport boss Dana White later saying the Irishman had been pulled from his Las Vegas showdown with Nate Diaz.
Twenty-seven-year-old McGregor caused confusion on Tuesday evening when he sent a tweet saying he was quitting.
"I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later" he wrote.
When no follow-up tweet arrived it appeared that McGregor's claim could well be genuine, and UFC president White later said McGregor had been pulled from UFC 200 - his keenly-anticipated rematch with Diaz because of a reluctance to promote the fight.
A story on UFC's official website said: "McGregor informed UFC officials that he would not participate in any promotional activities, including a commercial shoot and press conferences."
McGregor signed for the rematch with Diaz last month in the wake of his shock loss to the American on March 5.
It was McGregor's first loss in the UFC when he was choked into submission.
Diaz did not appear to take McGregor's Tweet seriously, writing himself "I guess my work here is done, I'm retiring too", although it was sent before White's statement.