Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Cricket

Bancroft named in Perth Scorchers BBL squad after ball-tampering ban expires

The 26-year-old was banned for nine months.

Bancroft will line up for the Perth Scorchers (Jason O’Brien/PA)
Bancroft will line up for the Perth Scorchers (Jason O’Brien/PA)

Cameron Bancroft’s return to cricket has been confirmed after he was named in the Perth Scorchers’ squad for their Big Bash League clash against the Hobart Hurricanes on Sunday.

The Australian batsman, who was axed from the national team and prohibited from playing after being caught up in ball-tampering scandal, was said to be “pretty excited” to be returning to the field.

The 26-year-old’s nine-month ban from international and domestic cricket expired on Saturday.

Scorchers head coach Adam Voges said: “It’s great to have Cam back in the squad again. It’s been a long year for him and now he can move forward and get back to playing cricket at a high level.

“He’s been pretty excited to be back so he’ll bring energy and experience into our batting line up.”

Bancroft was handed the ban after he attempted to alter the condition of the ball with sandpaper against South Africa in Cape Town in March.

The resulting furore drew in captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner, who were also axed from the team and sanctioned.

Cricket Australia launched an independent review and the governing body published a report into the “extremely regrettable” episode in October.

The scandal was thrust back into the spotlight earlier this week when Bancroft publicly described how Warner was the one to suggest he should tamper with the ball.

He told Fox Sports he did not know any better and just “wanted to fit in and feel valued”.

Born in Western Australia, Bancroft has played for the Scorchers since 2014.

PA

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph