| 3°C Belfast

CCTV to be used after racist abuse of Jofra Archer



Disturbing: Jofra Archer heard racial insulsts after his innings against New Zealand yesterday

Disturbing: Jofra Archer heard racial insulsts after his innings against New Zealand yesterday


Disturbing: Jofra Archer heard racial insulsts after his innings against New Zealand yesterday

New Zealand Cricket is to apologise to Jofra Archer after the England paceman was racially abused at the end of the first Test.

Archer scored a second-innings 30 as the tourists failed to bat out the final day in Mount Maunganui, losing by an innings and 65 runs.

The 24-year-old said on Twitter: "A bit disturbing hearing racial insults today while battling to help save my team.

"The crowd has been amazing this week except for that one guy. The Barmy Army was good as usual also."

Both the ECB and New Zealand Cricket were quick to issue responses, with a statement from the host nation coming first.

It read: "New Zealand Cricket will be contacting, and apologising to English fast bowler Jofra Archer, who was racially abused by a spectator as he left the field at the conclusion of the first Test at Bay Oval, Mt Maunganui.

"Although security providers at the venue heard, (they were) unable to locate the perpetrator, NZC will be examining CCTV footage and making further inquiries tomorrow in an endeavour to identify the man responsible.

"NZC has zero tolerance towards abusive or offensive language at any of its venues and will refer any developments in the case to police.

"It will contact Mr Archer tomorrow to apologise for the unacceptable experience, and to promise increased vigilance in the matter when the teams next meet in Hamilton."

The ECB added: "Through the scrutiny of CCTV footage at the Bay Oval, authorities are trying to identify the individual or individuals responsible for the remarks. The investigation is ongoing.

"NZC and ECB ensure that clear guidelines are in place at every venue so that watching a cricket match is safe and enjoyable for everyone."

Meanwhile, England captain Joe Root accepts that a shift in strategy will take time to implement after first Test defeat.

The tourists started the final day with seven wickets in hand, but Neil Wagner's five-for and a number of puzzling shot selections saw the Black Caps take a 1-0 lead in the two-Test series.

The new era under Root and Chris Silverwood started with both skipper and head coach preaching before the series that patience with the bat was fundamental to their vision as they attempt to improve the Test side's fortunes overseas.

Yet Root was among several batsmen to fall in tame circumstances in the second innings, where England were bundled out for 197 with 21.4 overs remaining in the day, with the Yorkshireman's average as captain falling to 39.7 compared to 52.8 when he is not leading the side.

He said: "We want to play in a certain way which has been very different to how we've had to play in our conditions over the last couple of years and it's going to take time, it's not going to happen overnight.

"Clearly some of the shots were not good. Everyone's very aware of that. I hold my hand up as well.

"I've had a bit of a rough time of it in terms of scores, I'm working extremely hard on it and sometimes it doesn't always come that easy to you.

"I keep putting the work in and I'm going to have to keep trusting my game because I've got a lot in the bank. I know I can do it and I don't feel like I'm far away."

England's first-innings total of 353 all out - in which they slipped from 277 for four to 295 for eight in the space of 21 balls - was put into context by New Zealand's 615 for nine declared.

BJ Watling's epic 205 spanned 473 balls and more than 11 hours, while Mitch Santner's maiden Test century swung the pendulum decisively towards the Kiwis as England were kept in the field for 201 overs.

Belfast Telegraph