Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Cricket

Mulder's injury opens Irish door for Singh


By Ian Callender

Simi Singh has been called up to the Ireland squad for the remaining three games in the T20 Tri-Series as a replacement for Jacob Mulder, who has been forced out with a back problem.

The CIYMS leg spinner was hoping to play his first international in more than two years but he pulled up in training on Saturday and as a precaution has been withdrawn from the series - although there is no suggestion that he will miss the pentangular tournament in Oman and the T20 World Cup qualifying tournament next month.

For Singh, it is a return to the T20 squad having been left out of Ireland's last series against Zimbabwe in July and, indeed, he has failed to take a wicket in his last five and a half overs, spread over five games in February.

There was no chance of any play in the opening game of the Tri-Series yesterday with a persistent drizzle over the Malahide ground from before the scheduled start at 1.30pm to when the umpires abandoned the match at 3.15pm.

With an improved forecast for the rest of the week, the Dutch should get the series under way against Scotland today, before Ireland face the Scots tomorrow. All the games start at 1.30pm.

Instonians completed the Robinson Services Premier League season yesterday with a fourth victory in five unbeaten games, condemning Waringstown to a seventh defeat of the season.

Murray Commins dominated the 20-over match at Shaw's Bridge with an undefeated 110 from 64 balls, with eight fours and seven sixes, which was 11 runs more than the visitors managed in total. The margin would have been even wider but for former captain - and current NCU chairman - Alan Waite who, in his first innings in senior cricket for eight years, finished 19 not out.

Instonians had been bottom of the table at the end of August but yesterday's victory leapfrogged them over Waringstown, who finished the season in sixth place - their lowest position since they were relegated, for one season, in 1998.

North Down's victory on Saturday at The Lawn, when they chased down Waringstown's 115-7 for the loss of only one wicket - Ruhan Pretorius finishing 73 not out - was enough to confirm the Comber side in second place in the final table behind runaway champions CIYMS.

Woodvale return to the Premier League next season as Section One champions and they finished the season 16 points clear of runners-up Templepatrick after beating Cregagh in a remarkable finale by eight wickets yesterday.

Dario Boyce hurried the game to a conclusion with six sixes in an eight-ball over, with two no balls, and the game was won with a wide which hit the fielding helmet for five penalty runs.

Bangor, however, were relegated on Saturday when Downpatrick won their final game at Donaghcloney Mill by 44 runs.

In the North West, Strabane preserved their top-flight status in the Long's SuperValu promotion play-off with a 93-run victory over Burndennett. Peter Gillespie, in his last innings, finished 61 not out.


Shaw's Bridge: Instonians 194-3 (20 overs, M Commins 110 not out, R McKinley 30) Waringstown 99-7 (A Dennison 38; J Magee 3-10). Instonians won by 95 runs.


Gibson Park Avenue: Cregagh 95-9 (20 overs, M Johnston 29; F Saeed 3-23, L Adair 2-17, S Bunting 2-19) Woodvale 100-2 (7 overs, D Boyce 50 not out, W Horwood 30). Woodvale won by eight wickets.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph