Nottinghamshire batsman Hales determined to put mistakes behind him
The 30-year-old was due to be part of the preliminary 15-man World Cup squad England
Nottinghamshire opener Alex Hales is determined to put past mistakes behind him and make the most of what is left of his cricket career.
Hales was removed from all England squads ahead of the international summer after a newspaper report said he was serving a 21-day ban for a second positive test for the use of recreational drugs.
The 30-year-old had been due to be part of England’s preliminary 15-man World Cup group, but instead returned to action for Notts, who were beaten in the Royal London One Day Cup semi-final by Somerset on May 12 at Trent Bridge.
— Nottinghamshire CCC (@TrentBridge) July 9, 2019
Hales revealed during the first episode of ‘All In’, a the behind-the-scenes documentary from within the Outlaws’ dressing room, how he had approached being reintegrated into the county squad.
After the opener’s heart-felt apology “for everything that happened”, his focus is now firmly on the challenges ahead – which will also include a stint with the Barbados Tridents in the seventh season of the Caribbean Premier League.
“Having known Notts (director of cricket) Mick (Newell) a very long time, he is such a good guy, and (chief executive) Lisa (Pursehouse), we are blessed to have those two at the reins of the club,” Hales said.
I got the point across that I had not just let myself down, I had let down family, friends, team-mates. Alex Hales, All In
“They were brilliant to be honest, we sat down and had a chat about what happened, moving forward and we got a process in order.
“They asked me if I was ready to play, and I just could not wait to get back out there to be honest, that is all I want to do, is play cricket.
“As soon as I walked back into the (Notts) changing room and was around the guys, I could not have asked for more to be honest.
“Everyone has been unbelievable. I just wanted to apologise to them for everything that happened.
“I got the point across that I had not just let myself down, I had let down family, friends, team-mates. I had to get that off my chest.
“I wanted to tell the guys how I was feeling and then to just finish it off I wanted to let them know that I was 100 per cent focused on the cricket now.
— CPL T20 (@CPL) May 22, 2019
“I wanted to move forward and put those mistakes of the past behind me. This is how it has to be, to be honest.”
Hales added: “I can’t change what has happened, all I can affect is what is going to happen.
“I am just trying to look at it in much as a positive way as I can.
“I just have to crack on and try to make the most of hopefully a few more years left of my career.”