Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Cricket

Paceman Mark Wood hands England a lifeline at Headingley

By David Charlesworth

England paceman Mark Wood made a double breakthrough to halt New Zealand's rapid acceleration on day three of the second Investec Test at Headingley.

Martin Guptill (70) and Ross Taylor (48) had put on a remarkable 99-run partnership off just 87 balls to lift New Zealand 122 clear with eight wickets in hand, after England were all out yesterday morning having matched the tourists' score this morning.

But Durham bowler Wood stopped the rot by picking up the wicket of Taylor and then took the scalp of Guptill for good measure to leave the Kiwis on 143 for four at tea.

Stuart Broad made the initial breakthrough, claiming his 500th first class wicket in the process, when Tom Latham gloved behind from one that came back into him sharply. Kane Williamson then also sent a catch to wicketkeeper Jos Buttler after edging a delivery that nibbled off the seam from Broad for his second single figure score of the match.

The Black Caps' situation nearly worsened, but Taylor was given a life on six when an edge from James Anderson burst through Gary Ballance's hands at third slip.

It proved a costly drop as Guptill and Taylor counter-attacked in thrilling fashion, surviving early scares to up the scoring rate.

Taylor welcomed Stokes into the attack with a six over deep midwicket to take the partnership to 62 off just 33 deliveries, with both batsmen combining regular boundaries with hard running.

Guptill smacked Moeen Ali back over his head for a maximum to go to a 47-ball half-century, but Taylor fell two runs shy of his 50 after slapping Wood straight to Stokes at extra-cover to end a thrilling partnership.

Wood then struck again in the penultimate over before tea as Guptill edged a fuller delivery to Joe Root at third slip to depart for 70 off 72 balls.

England had earlier levelled New Zealand's first-innings score thanks to some much-needed resistance from their bowlers after Tim Southee took three quick wickets. Ian Bell nicked the second ball of the morning to second slip, failing to add to his overnight score, while Buttler and Moeen also edged into the cordon to give Southee three wickets in his first 18 balls.

But Broad and Wood put on 51 in eight overs, the latter looking the more authoritative of the two in making 19 before departing after getting a thin edge behind in Mark Craig's first over.

Broad, twice dropped, pulled Matt Henry for six over deep midwicket but was then cleaned up by the bowler for 45, his highest score since breaking his nose against India last summer.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph