| 25.2°C Belfast

Pretorius takes the positives out of his double negatives



Ruhan Pretorius

Ruhan Pretorius

Ruhan Pretorius

Ruhan Pretorius has admitted that not only did he not expect to play in Sunday's game for Ireland Wolves but feared he could be stuck in isolation in Chittagong for 14 days.

The new Woodvale professional was pulled out of the tourists' first one-day game against the Bangladesh Emerging side last Friday when a laboratory result of his Covid test returned a positive and Pretorius was separated from the rest of the squad.

However, 36 hours later, two more tests revealed the initial result was actually a false positive and the South Africa-born all-rounder went on to star for Wolves, top scoring with 90.

Speaking for the first time of his experience, Pretorius admitted it had been the "most bizarre 36 hours".

"Halfway through our innings, we were on top and doing well, but I got pulled off and then the game was stopped. I was then told I was positive and I was immediately isolated in a orange sweat suit.

"I was driven back to the hotel in an ambulance and quickly put into the isolation room and spent the evening there. I had to do two tests, an emergency test and then the usual one with the rest of the team.

"In terms of everything, I didn't think I was going to be allowed to play on Sunday. To deal with it mentally, I was preparing to do 14 days (in isolation).

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

"But the next evening the doctors told me it was a false positive and if I got another negative, I could join the team.

"To be honest, that allowed me to clear my head. I was in a weird space trying to get used to isolation, but getting negative results was a very big relief."

On Sunday morning, Pretorius was able to prepare for the match with his "normal routine" and soon found out he would be starting the match by opening the batting.

"I have been hitting the ball well in the nets, so I just tried to do the basics, watch the ball, which didn't move as much as in the first game," he said.

Wolves totalled 263 for seven but it wasn't enough as their hosts scored 49 off the last five overs to win by four wickets.

"We weren't good enough in those last four-five overs, so it's something we have to take on the chin and improve in the next game (today)," he added.

Top Videos