| 4.2°C Belfast

Steven Mullaney and Jake Libby put Nottinghamshire in control against Hampshire

Libby and Mullaney batted throughout the final session of the day to reach the close on 136 without loss.


Nottinghamshire’s Steven Mullaney was in fine form (Simon Cooper/PA Images)

Nottinghamshire’s Steven Mullaney was in fine form (Simon Cooper/PA Images)

Nottinghamshire’s Steven Mullaney was in fine form (Simon Cooper/PA Images)

Steven Mullaney and Jake Libby put on an unbeaten century opening stand as Division One leaders Nottinghamshire seized the advantage in their Specsavers County Championship match against Hampshire.

Libby and Mullaney batted throughout the final session of the day at Trent Bridge to reach the close on 136 without loss, an overall advantage of 215.

Mullaney, the Nottinghamshire captain, is unbeaten on 82, having faced 119 balls and hit 10 fours and two sixes.

Libby reached his 50 in the final over of the day, getting to the landmark from 97 deliveries, with six fours.

Steven Patterson’s four-wicket evening burst put Yorkshire on the brink of victory over Essex at Chelmsford after being bowled out for just 50 on the opening day.

The seamer sent back Alastair Cook, Tom Westley, Nick Browne and Ravi Bopara in the space of 21 balls to knock the stuffing out of an Essex batting line-up that had been set an intriguing 238 to win between now and Bank Holiday Monday.

By the close on the second day, Essex still need 141 runs with six wickets intact.

Keaton Jennings and Dane Vilas shared an unbroken third-wicket stand of 169 as Lancashire fought back strongly on day two against Somerset at the Emirates Old Trafford.

Replying to the visitors’ 429, Lancashire were 217 for two at the close with Jennings on 91 not out, his first half-century in a first-class match since last June, and Vilas unbeaten on 83.

At the Kia Oval, Worcestershire were left facing another uphill struggle after Rory Burns stuck a fine 193 to help Surrey to a challenging first-innings total of 434 at the Kia Oval.

However, Daryl Mitchell’s gritty 77 not out from 132 balls helped Worcestershire reach 135 for one from 45 overs in reply.

Surrey captain Burns batted for just eight minutes short of nine hours, hitting 18 fours from 408 balls. Burns had resumed on 137, with Surrey 278 for four overnight.

Jeetan Patel and Henry Brookes bowled Warwickshire to the brink of victory over Derbyshire in the battle of Division Two’s leading sides at Edgbaston.

Having shared eight wickets in the first innings, the pair added all 10 in the second to bowl out the visitors for 209 on the third day.

That left a victory target of just 89 and Warwickshire were 19 for one at the close.

At Chester-le-Street, Aiden Markram was dismissed for a duck for the third time in three innings as Durham’s batting woes continued, handing Leicestershire control.

The South African was unable to register his first runs for Durham, part of the collapse which reduced the home side to 14 for four in response to Leicestershire’s total of 440, with Ben Raine claiming three wickets.

Graham Clark offered resistance with a stoic half-century, but the visitors are in a strong position and look well set to end their 17-match winless Championship run having started the day on 301 for four.

Sussex found themselves in a good position against Middlesex after the second day at Hove where Harry Finch hit a maiden County Championship hundred.

The 23-year-old from Hastings scored 103 as the home team recovered from 127 for six to post 323 in response to Middlesex’s 230.

A first-innings lead of 93 could prove crucial on a pitch which continued to provide assistance for the bowlers.

Sussex’s position looked even better when Ollie Robinson took his eighth wicket of the match and David Wiese struck five balls later to reduce Middlesex to nine for two.

But skipper Dawid Malan and Nick Gubbins battened down the hatches, taking their team to 64 for two at stumps.

Glamorgan batted themselves back into their contest against Kent to build a lead of 193 at Sophia Gardens.

After 19 wickets fell on an opening day during which they were rattled out for 94, Glamorgan closed on 273 for nine in their second innings.

Resuming on 163 for nine, Kent’s last wicket pair added a further 11 runs at the start of play to gain a useful first-innings lead of 80.