Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Ancelotti sacked by Bayern after PSG rout

 

By Robert Jones

Carlo Ancelotti has left his post as coach of Bayern Munich in the wake of the Bundesliga champions' 3-0 defeat to Paris St Germain in the Champions League.

The departure of the 58-year-old Italian, who has also managed Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid, was announced by the Bavarian club on Thursday afternoon.

He leaves with Bayern third in the Bundesliga table behind Borussia Dortmund and Hoffenheim after four wins from six games and second behind PSG in Champions League Group B after defeat to the French side in Paris.

Ancelotti had been in charge at Bayern since the summer of 2016. Assistant coach Willy Sagnol has taken charge of the team, who return to Bundesliga action at Hertha Berlin on Sunday, on an interim basis.

Ancelotti's backroom team of Davide Ancelotti, Giovanni Mauri, Francesco Mauri and Mino Fulco have also left the club.

A statement on the club website said Ancelotti had left after "internal analysis" following the defeat to PSG.

Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said: "The performance of our team since the start of the season did not meet the expectations we put to them. The game in Paris clearly showed that we had to draw consequences.

"(Bayern sporting director) Hasan Salihamidzic and I had an open and serious discussion with Carlo today and informed him of our decision.

"I would like to thank Carlo for his co-operation and regret this development."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph