Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Ballinderry pull out all stops as club titles hot up

By John Campbell

Ulster and Derry club champions Ballinderry were pushed to the pin of their collar by a gallant Coleraine Eoghan Rua side last night before coming out on top by 1-6 to 0-6 in a tense county championship tussle.

A fortuitous third quarter Dermot McGuckin goal which was complemented by points from Enda Muldoon and Conleith Gilligan eased Ballinderry into a more comfortable position after they had led by a point at the break.

Coleraine's Sean Leo McGoldrick and Ballinderry's Ryan Scott were shown black cards but it was the champions' greater experience which carried them through.

Meanwhile, the semi-final draw for the Tyrone Senior Football Championship could hardly be more alluring.

Dromore have been paired with St Enda's Omagh while the winners of the postponed Augher v Carrickmore quarter-final will confront Ardboe.

Despite the best efforts of Sean Cavanagh, Moy still went under to Ardboe in yesterday's quarter-final by 3-7 to 1-6.

John McConville landed two of Ardboe's goals while Mick Hagan, who had a hand in both of them, scored a third with Kyle Coney contributing three points.

Perennial Antrim champions St Gall's launched the defence of their title by overcoming St Mary's Ahoghill by 2-10 to 0-7, their goals coming from Brendan Bradley and Kevin Niblock.

St Gall's held a comfortable 2-5 to 0-4 lead at the break and Sean Kelly, Kieran McGourty, Aodhan Gallagher and substitute Karl Stewart were impressive as they went on to close out the game.

In the Armagh Championship, Harps triumphed by 1-11 to 0-10 over their great rivals Pearse Og in the city derby.

Ultan Lennon scored the only goal while Karl Loughran was man of the match. Sean Moore and Ronan Clarke each scored three points for Pearse Og.

James Lavery made a superb return to a fired-up Maghery side by dominating the midfield exchanges in their 2-10 to 0-12 win over Killeavy.

Conor Forker and Shay Tennyson bagged Maghery's goals while Forker's brothers Stefan (3) and Aidan (2) shared in the points.

Gerard Byrne (5) and Conor King (4) were accurate marksman for Killeavy.

Whitecross overcame Tir na nOg (Portadown) by 1-22 to 2-7, sub Colm O'Hanlon hitting six second-half points.

Bryansford advanced in the Down Championship by beating Downpatrick by 1-15 to 0-13, a 12th-minute goal from Conor Maginn cementing their first-half advantage and propelling them into a 1-10 to 0-4 interval lead.

Ederney showed that they could prove a force in Fermanagh by beating St Patrick's 0-13 to 1-9 with Paul McCusker hitting five points from play.

Pat Cadden's goal in the 22nd minute had helped keep St Patrick's afloat and they trailed by 0-9 to 1-3 at half-time but Ederney missed a great chance to put the game beyond reach when Chris Snow's penalty struck the woodwork.

Mark McAuley and Niall Maguire subsequently scored the late points that took Ederney to victory.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph