Bordeaux to appeal against Malcom ban
Coach Poyet and president Martin question simulation verdict.
Bordeaux plan to appeal against the suspension imposed on winger Malcom for simulation.
The Brazilian, a January transfer target for Premier League clubs Arsenal and Tottenham, was banned for one match with another suspended after he was adjudged to have dived to win a penalty against Lyon last month.
He is set to miss February 25’s game against Nice but his club have lodged a protest, pointing to the lack of a sanction for Lyon’s Mariano Diaz after a similar case in December.
Bordeaux president Stephane Martin told sudouest.fr: “We are very surprised and want to understand.
“The referee’s report is word for word the same (as the Mariano incident). We had a defence which was word for word the same as Lyon’s.
“We just want to understand why in one case it is simulation, and not in the other.”
His thoughts were echoed by coach Gus Poyet, who told L’Equipe: “The hardest thing is that I cannot say to a player ‘This is not allowed’, or ‘With this, you are alright’.
“Nobody explained to us why one player was suspended and not the other. I was sure Malcom would not get any (punishment), because Mariano did not get anything.”